Hi Trevor,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Trevor Daniels <t.dani...@treda.co.uk>
wrote:

> ... and hardly any need for the text-spanner-line-count, as it's easy
> to split up the text by system (since manual breaks are needed
> anyway to control the placement) like this:
>
> music = \relative {
> %  \override TextSpanner.text-spanner-line-count = #'(8 5)
>   \addTextSpannerText \lyricmode {
>     \markup \fontsize #1 \upright \smallCaps Abe:
>     "Say" "this" "over" "measures" "one" "and" "two"
>   }
>   <>\startTextSpan
>   a'4 a a a
>   a4 a a a
>   \stopTextSpan
>   \break
>   \addTextSpannerText \lyricmode {
>     "and" "this" "over" "measure" "three"
>   }
>   <>\startTextSpan
>   a4 a a a
>   \stopTextSpan
> }

[...]

> One problem remains: the text overlaps if there is not enough room,
> for example with ragged-right.  This would be a nuisance for the
> examples in the manuals, but in real scores ragged-right is not usually
> used.

Yes, this is really irksome, but it's a problem with ordinary text spanners
too.  They don't avoid text overlaps automatically.  The only corrective
for the problem is setting minimum-length.

{
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = #"really long long text"
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = #"overlapped"
  % gives 2 instances of strange error in 2.19.27; other versions?
  % programming error: mis-predicted force, 108.120472 ~= 139.065846
  %\override TextSpanner.minimum-length = 25
  %\override TextSpanner.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  c1\startTextSpan
  c1\stopTextSpan
}

In order to get independent line lengths for the musical theatre example,
you'd have to use two spanners as you do above.  I don't think \alterBroken
would work since minimum-length is set before line-breaking.

David