Thanks, both, for your help on this.

Regarding
\override TextSpanner.bound-details.left-broken.text = ##f

In section 3.1.122 of the internals reference, I see 'left.broken' as an
item in the 'bound-details' list but with no indication of what it does,
nor that 'left-broken.text' is possible and the values that could take.
How could I have found this out from the documentation?

As suggested, the thread linked to by Pierre seems to be a good bet.  It
has taken me some time to read through it all and try out the various
attached files.

I am quite happy to install version 2.19.27, so that I can get the
result I want (with dotted lines).  More likely I shall install
v2.19.30, which seems to be the latest.  Has any of the material
developed in connection with the "Text centralized above a TextSpan"
thread actually been incorporated into v2.19.30, or is that yet to come?

David