I think that the documentation you mention is pretty good as it stands -
I just hadn't found it.  That's my fault and my inefficiency.  I hardly
ever use text spanners, and hadn't remembered there was even a section
like that.

I think I need to find some time simply to read through (for the
umpteenth time) the whole of the Notation Reference.  No doubt I shall
be able to absorb many more details than I could the last time I did it.

David