Hello,
About 10 years ago I wrote some Java applets which allow a user to test
their understanding of intervals (
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/interval.html and triads (
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/chords.html) and minor scales (
http://homepage.eircom.net/~gerfmcc/pitchEtc2.html).  They work well, but
it seems that Java applets are now no longer the best way to make programs
available on web pages.  It seems that the HTML5 canvas is most common
now.   I'm not an experienced programmer but I think the logic for
generating the tests should be easy enough to transpose from java to
javascript, however for display I'm wondering what a reasonably simple way
to transform the note data into music notation is.  I used transparent
.gifs for the original programs and shifted them into place, but I suspect
that Lilypond or something similar would be better.   No doubt people here
have worked on this sort of problem before, so any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
Gerard McConnell