Hi,

I also was about to suggest vexflow, but someone beat me to it :-).

I've recently started studying species counterpoint and actually was
looking for something which you provide on your website :-) . The applets
don't show here though (linux, chrome). I'd appreciate it if you'd let me
know when/if HTML5 and javascript conversion gets done :-D .

On a sidenote (perhaps for a different topic), in Musescore there is the
possibility to create plugins which provide harmony checks, someone also
did a plugin for a previous Musescore version which checked only first
species counterpoint.

I know lilypond's first purpose is creating sheet music, not composing
music, but are there snippets of scheme or libraries around which could do
the same?

I think, for people who study counterpoint and voice leading, or any other
rule-set in music, it would be very interesting to have a an option to
check if they've followed the rules. In my case I have no teacher, can't
afford private lessons, so I have to figure it out on my own without any
way to check if I'm actually correct in interpreting the rules and
executing the exercises.

grtz,
Bart

http://www.bartart3d.be/