> Thomas Morley <thomasmorle...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'd go for post-event(s)
>> Plural, because there may be more than one. See example below
>
> But every one gets its own warning, so each warning is only for one.

Well, then I'd expect two warnings for:
{ \fermata -- d' }
because two post-events are present.
At least the following let me think that _two_ are there:

foo =
#(define-music-function (mus)(ly:music?)
  (music-map
    (lambda (m)
      (if (music-is-of-type? m 'post-event)
          (begin
            (display-scheme-music m)
            m)
          m))
    mus))

\foo { \fermata -- d' }

But I only get
warning: Adding <> for attaching loose post-event
{
  \fermata -- d' }

Which I take as _one_ warning.

>> But
>> { -\3 -\rightHandFinger #2 d'4 }
>> issues the warning, the image doesn't contain the post-events, though.
>> Not a problem of your patch, because a spelled out version fails as well:
>> { <>\3\rightHandFinger #2 d'4 }
>>
>> I guess it's because the post-events are attached to an event-chord
>> and not a note-event, since
>> { d'4\3\rightHandFinger #2 }
>> works as expected. But I'm guessing...
>>
>> Nevertheless, the current warning feels like lily would fix the
>> problem, but doesn't.
>
> It fixes the problem of post-events attached to nothing.

Ok, understood.

> Try
> \displayMusic if you don't believe it.

I did :)

> The "problem" of explicit per-note articulations (like string and
> right-finger numbers) not getting engraved when attached to a whole
> chord has always been there.  That they _do_ appear for
> { d'4\3\rightHandFinger #2 } has not been historically the case.  It's
> the somewhat edgy
>
> commit 84cad110c3bbaeca8e5144dba7f8756b89100396
> Author: David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org>
> Date:   Sat Apr 21 22:30:55 2012 +0200
>
>     Let rhythmic-engraver make its articulation-or-event decision based on
> current listeners
>
>     This removes the dependency of the rhythmic engraver on a static list
>     of unlistened event classes and thus is part of work on issue 2449.
>
>     As one effect, string numbers on isolated notes in Voice contexts are
>     now typeset by default since the string numbers have no listener in
>     Voice contexts even though they would have one in TabVoice.
>
> and similar which does that.

Acknowlegged.

> Frankly, what does it even _mean_ to use a
> particular righthand finger and string for a non-existing note?

Well, that hold as well for:
{ -1 -- d' }
but this one works.

>> Your patch-descriptions reads (among other stuff):
>>
>> "Parser: Add reverse_music_list function
>>
>> This function does not just reverse a music list but also integrates
>> post events into the respective preceding expressions. If that is not
>> possible, a warning is printed and they are either dropped or attached
>> to an empty chord (depending on a call parameter).
>> "
>>
>> So I'd rather expect a warning if stuff is dropped.
>
> It isn't.  Please take a look at the output of \displayMusic .  It is
> not _dropped_ but rather ignored since no engraver listens for those
> events and they aren't attached to notes where the
> New_fingering_engraver would get to consider them.
>
> They are part of the expression, as announced.

Ok, I've read "dropped" as dropped from printing, so this was sort of
misunderstanding on my part.

Cheers,
  Harm