Thank you! This is a workable starting point. However, it raised a few
questions.

1) I noticed that rotating the grob doesn't work well with automatic
collision detection, since the grob skylines are still where they would be
for the unrotated grob. See this example code and the attached images:

> \version "2.19.80"\language "english"
> tweaks = {
>   \once \override Hairpin.rotation = #'(9 0 0)
>   %\once \override Hairpin.extra-offset = #'(0 . -1)}
> \score {
>   \new Staff \relative c' { \time 2/2 \tweaks d8[^\<(^"some really long text
> here!" e f g a b c d]\!) |
>                             <e c g g,>4\arpeggio  }
>   \layout {
>     \context {
>       \Score
>       \override Hairpin.height = #0.5
>     }
>   }
> }
>
> This makes me hesitate for the same reason that using extra-offset does:
I'd want to tweak the shape of the Hairpins and have Lilypond automatically
work out the correct spacing between different grobs and staves. So, how
can I make it so that the skylines are also updated when I rotate the grob?
Or, if internally the grob is first placed and then rotated, how can I make
it so that the rotation occurs before Lilypond calculates the positioning
and spacing of grobs?

Lastly, regarding my need for a slight horizontal displacement:
2) I've tried modifying many properties, and so far Hairpin.X-offset and
Hairpin.extra-offset are the only ones that appear to do something close to
what I need. If I could somehow change the length of the Hairpin I could
use X-offset in conjunction with, for example, X-extent to effectively move
both the starting and ending point in the X axis. Using this approach would
have the advantage of conserving proper collision detection while being
easy to wrap inside a function. But I don't know why X-extent doesn't work
here.

Any ideas?