Hey Mark,

Is there a way of adding a front page with graphics, title etc to a
> Lilypond book, with the numbering starting at 1 on the first other
> book page?

I'm not sure what exactly you want to accomplish here. Where do you want
the numbering to appear? Is your question also about how to create a title
page?

Maybe my approach to that problem can help you. What I normally do is to
create a "cover.ly" file with all the elements I need (title, composer,
graphics, etc.), and then, in a separate file, I organize the music inside
\bookpart blocks. This avoids that lilypond prints the default  header, but
requires a bit caution. For instance:

---- cover.ly

\version "2.19.46"

\paper {
    bookTitleMarkup = ""
    scoreTitleMarkup = ""
  }

 \markup  {
  \vspace #20
  \fill-line {
    \fontsize #12 \title }
}

\markup  {
  \vspace #2
  \fill-line {
    \fontsize #5 \instrument }
}

\markup  {
  \vspace #5
  \fill-line {
    \fontsize #8 \composer }
}

\markup {
  \vspace #3
  \fill-line {
    \fontsize #6 \poet }
}

\markup  {
  \vspace #5
  \fill-line {
    \fontsize #2 \italic \dedication }
}

\markup {
  \vspace #4
  \fill-line {
    \fontsize #4 \date }
}

\pageBreak

---- mainfile.ly

\version "2.19.46"

%% Notice we have to add the header elements as variables

title = "My piece"
subtitle = "it has a cover page!"
composer = "Me"
date = "2018"
dedication = "To Mr. Someone"
instrument = "Piano"
poet = ""

\header {
  %% and now we just call the variables we just created
  title = \title
  subtitle = \subtitle
  composer = \composer
  date = \date
  dedication = \dedication
  instrument = \instrument
  arranger = ""
}

\bookpart {
  %\include "cover.ly"
  %{  \markup {}
  \pageBreak
  \paper {
    print-page-number = ##f
    oddHeaderMarkup = ##f
    evenHeaderMarkup = ##f
    bookTitleMarkup = ""
    scoreTitleMarkup = ""
  %}
}

\paper {
  first-page-number = #0 %this avoids counting the cover as page 1
  #(include-special-characters)
  bottom-margin = 1.5\cm
}

\bookpart {
  \paper {
    oddHeaderMarkup = \markup {
      \fill-line {
        \on-the-fly \not-part-first-page
        \fill-line { \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string \null }
        \null
      }
    }
    evenHeaderMarkup = \markup {
      \fill-line {
        \null \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
      }
    }
  }
  \score {