Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Hi David,
>
>> You either define an event function or a markup command. […]
>> One is the markup, the other is a text script post event.  Markups can
>> be used in a variety of circumstances (as text scripts, as lyrics, as
>> part of other markup, as tempo strings, as mark texts and so on).  Text
>> scripts can be used as text scripts.
>
> Since all I usually want/need in such situations are text scripts —
> never to be [re]used in any other circumstances — I will go forward
> under the impression that event functions suit my need just fine, and
> adjust my function library accordingly.

Don't be too fast.  I've created

Current branch: issue5291
Tracker issue: 5291 (https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5291/)
Rietveld issue: 336670043 (https://codereview.appspot.com/336670043)
Issue description:
  Allow event functions from partial functions or partial markups
  This gives event functions such as ^\tweak font-size 2^\markup \huge
  \etc   Also contains commits:  Allow event functions from partial
  markup commands  This allows event functions such as ^\markup \huge
  #red \etc   Add Syntax::create_script  This generates post-events
  from generic Scheme expressions.

So you can replace the definition

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.80"

cue =
#(define-event-function (text) (markup?)
  #{ ^\markup \bold #text #})

{ c''\cue "This is the cue." }
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

with

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.21.0"

cue = ^\markup \bold \etc

{ c''\cue "This is the cue." }
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

It's a small amount of syntactic sugar but might come in handy.

--
David Kastrup