It's strange, I tested with a project that had some "rebel ties", commented
out the previous fix and used \tieDown, and the ties went in the direction
I wanted them to... I'll have to look at it in more detail, but it must
surely be my fault, I must have missed something.
However in the example above it does work exactly as you mention it does. I
think the warnings are ok, they are kind of verbose, but it is telling you
"find another way to do this!" so I think the verbosity is useful.