Strongly recommend using 2.19.81, especially if I am going to help you out
extending this symbol code library. The wording of unstable on the website
is open source over modesty, a conventional trope. The latest releases are
very stable, and I bang away at them all day on very very complex scores
and even I cant crash them. There are lots of new features in the 2.19
series that I cannot imagine not wanting to have.

The Ubuntu repo is stuck at the nominated stable release. Just download
from lilypond.org.

Andrew