It's not that special of a case. Hiding a staff containing notes and using
a MarkLine are normal techniques for managing a large ensemble score.

>From property-init.ly:

markLengthOn = {
  \override Score.MetronomeMark.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 1.0)
  \override Score.RehearsalMark.extra-spacing-width = #'(-0.5 . 0.5)
  % Raise as much as four staff-spaces before pushing notecolumns right
  \override Score.MetronomeMark.extra-spacing-height = #'(4 . 4)
  \override Score.RehearsalMark.extra-spacing-height = #'(4 . 4)
}

So it appears the relevant difference is setting some positive
extra-spacing-height when setting extra-spacing-width. On further testing
with ledger lines and placing a staff above the MarkLine, the right setting
seems to be MetronomeMark.extra-spacing-height = #'(4 . 0), rather than

I still wonder if there is a bug in the interaction with hidden staves.
Staves shouldn't be affecting spacing on systems where they are dead.