On 04/01/19 18:41, Aaron Hill wrote:

>> Yeesh, that is terrible.This is why it's important to follow good
>> notation
>> practice: I was so confused by this bad typesetting that I thought the
>> bar
>> was 6/4 time, and now my day is ruined.
>
> Unless someone is doing academic work where it is critical for the
> typesetting to precisely match that of a reference work, all new
> typesetting ideally should follow the current wisdom of notation.  There
> is little reason to continue to propagate archaic and non-standard
> practices, especially if they are more likely to cause confusion.

This is exactly what I *H*A*T*E* about people who proclaim "This is
correct".

Take my case - which would you choose between "follow the current
wisdom" and "music that is readable (and hence playable)". Note that
this *IS* an either/or choice! How often have I moaned on this list
because I need to over-ride lily's defaults because the result is
otherwise pretty much unplayable ...

I make no comment about the current piece being discussed - it sounds
like it's incomprehensible to orchestral musicians, but why should
everybody be forced to speak "orchestra"? We don't all speak English, or
write in the Latin script!

Cheers,
Wol