Hi Aaron,

> > My mind was a little blown by the result of changing that to
> You and me both.

Well, that at least makes me feel a little better. #miserylovescompany

> > Hence the ability to offset (e.g.) an OttavaBracket precisely X staff
> > spaces while still [re-]engaging the spacing engine is neither an
> > unreasonable request, nor something that Lilypond could (or even
> > should!) try to manage automagically.
>
> I suppose my sticking point is the need to be so precise with positioning.

As a deeply fussy engraver, I do a lot of grob-pushing in the final stages of
the process. My workflow, equipment, and eye are attuned enough that I can
easily estimate offsets with accuracy of 0.125 staff spaces at 100% page view.
Given how long compiling can take with large scores, it’s really frustrating to
try to offset a grob 0.5 spaces (through means other than extra-offset),
recompile [and go get coffee], only to come back and find that because of some
weird interaction or bug the grob only moved 0.125 spaces (or worse didn’t get
moved at all).

> I cannot envision any musical meaning for the exact vertical position of
> an OttavaBracket. Rather, an engraver should simply desire it
> positioned so the performer is able to notice it without distraction.
> If it sits too close to other elements, then additional padding may be
> necessary. And vice versa, perhaps the bracket needs to sit very
> snuggly in some cases to look right.

Yes. But if attempts to move it by X don’t actually move it by *precisely* X,
the workflow gets slowed/interrupted.

> Moving an offending bracket as mentioned above *should* be doable
> with Y-offset or any one of the various padding properties.

That would be great — I like to leave 'extra-offset for the last possible
resort.

> That said, I have noticed that slur-padding seems to have no effect on
> OttavaBrackets. That is either
> yet another bug or just a figment of my misunderstanding.

I also wish that every grob had a separate padding parameter for above and
below… but that’s a whole 'nother thing.

Thanks,
Kieren.