From: Paolo Prete <paolopr...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 8:10 PM
To: Aaron Hill <lilyp...@hillvisions.com>
Subject: Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point

I really can't count how many times I had to to that in so many scores. And
there's no way to do that automagically. Really no way.
Otherwise I would not have asked what I'm asking.
Then I'm forced to use the extra-offset property for now.
Hope that someone could solve this issue. I'm sure there's a way for doing
that, without changing the code and whole Lilypond would have a great benefit
from it.

I’m sure that within the current code base there is no way to solve this issue
in the means you have proposed.  When the Y-offset property of a grob is an
unpure-pure-container, final positioning is done *after* \offset is applied to
the unpure-pure-container value.  And then collision avoidance is applied,
along with “automagic” placement. So the only way to solve this problem with
the current code base is to use extra-offset.  But then you also get to do your
own collision avoidance.

I’m sorry, but I think this is the current state of LilyPond’s placement
algorithms.  And that’s why I prefer to find ways to tweak the placement
algorithms, as opposed to tweaking the grobs.

Thanks,

Carl