Thank you all for your suggestions! This is very helpful. Leo and
Christian, I will try the 'skip' idea: in this particular case I have 616
measures of straightforward 2/4, so it should not be too unwieldy. Kieren,
I will investigate the edition-engraver... I've already attempted to learn
it a few times, but maybe this time I'll succeed.

You've all been very helpful. My thanks again!

Cheers,

Leszek.