It's a while since I used Lilypond.  I have a bit of tweaking I want to
do to some scores, so thought I should download the latest version.  In
the end, I decided to use v2.24.1, rather than 2.25.4, although I have
mostly used the "unstable" versions in the past.

Lilypond used to use a global install, and it was the work of a few
minutes to download and install this on my Linux machines, including
all the documentation too if one added the -d flag.

I have managed to install Lilypond, and even the docs, a couple of
times since it changed to a sort of flatpack design.  Each time it has
taken me a long time to get it all working.  Today I have spent well
over an hour messing about, and I have now managed to get lilypond
installed and also the documentation.

But convert-ly doesn't work: I get a
"/home/david/lilypond/usr/bin/python3: not found" error.  This is
probably because the convert-ly script I have in my ~/bin/  folder
 needs amending, but I can see myself having to spend another hour or
two trying to sort out what is going wrong and how to change it.

What seems to be missing is a simple to find and to follow set of
instructions on how to install Lilypond.  I was surprised to see that
the Learning Manual now encourages users to use a package from their
distro.  This seems to be a change of policy: previously, the website
discouraged users from doing this, because the repositories usually
have out of date versions.  But perhaps this is the path I should go
down, simply to save time.

Sorry, this is just a grumble about having to mess about so much to get
Lilypond functioning.  But surely there ought to be some sort of
instructions on the download site about how to get everything installed
and working.

David