Le lundi 18 septembre 2023 à 18:13 +0000, Zone Dremik a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> This is a follow-up concerning Frescobaldi start-up problems on Mac Ventura
> 13.5 (I should clarify that this is an issue that only occurs when I first
> start Frescobaldi after having powered-on the computer).
>
> I upgraded to Frescobaldi 3.3.0 via MacPorts. That worked very well, but the
> anomalous behavior is the same.
>
> If I double-click a .ly file icon in the Mac Finder, I get the start-up
> animation and Frescobaldi splash screen. No menus appear and the file is not
> opened.
>
> Mac system show Frescobaldi not responding.
>
> If I go back and double-click the .ly file icon,(while Frescobaldi is running,
> but not responding) the file opens in the usual Frescobaldi window-set, along
> with the menus at the top of the screen. However, everything is inoperative,
> and still shows Not Responding in Mac system activity monitor.
>
> There is no response when clicking menus, and I can not select and edit the
> code. I must force quit.
>
> I tried waiting up to ten minutes, so see if it was just busy or slow.
>
> At this point, I can start Frescobaldi from the app icon and then double-click
> a .ly file-icon, and everything runs properly. I can quit and start again
> without problems, until I power-off the computer.

Not sure why I didn't think about it earlier, but this may be
https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/428
or a variant of it.

When Frescobaldi freezes, if you click its icon on the dock, does it come back?

As you can see, that issue is an old problem that remained a mystery to everyone
until I was able to find (after lots of searching) a plausible cause last May. I
haven't been able to produce a fix yet (though there was some progress towards
simplifying the creation of app bundles, which could help).

Historically, macOS has been a pain to support for Frescobaldi (and LilyPond)
because of the peculiar user interface and distribution requirements imposed by
the platform, but also and most importantly the acute lack of contributors to
Frescobaldi on macOS. (This has been a problem for LilyPond itself too, by the
way.) Most contributors, including the original Frescobaldi author and most of
the currently active people (like myself) are running Linux. That Frescobaldi
kept working on macOS was basically a heroic effort by Davide Liessi, who
however has little time for it. Some people like Jacques Menu kindly offered to
help building installers, from detailed instructions, which is how the latest
release has an installer for Apple Silicon machines. But the set of people with
both Python / PyQt skills plus familiarity with Frescobaldi's source code, and a
working macOS environment, is basically reduced to Davide, who doesn't have
time. There is also a remote machine on MacStadium that I can use, but the
connection is horrendously slow and breaks frequently and the system is old.
That doesn't really scale. I know that there are repeated complaints about (non-
blocking) oddities like this on macOS, but unfortunately it will remain hard to
fix them until that set of people expands.

> Thanks to everyone for recommending the upgrade. I am very glad to have the
> new version of Frescobaldi. The start-up issue is only a nuisance but I enjoy
> this program so much, I worry a bit when there are odd problems like this.
>
> Would the system report/program-dump be of any use? I can send a zip file.

Is there even a system report? If so, yes, I'd be interested to see it, maybe
it'll confirm or disprove my conjecture about the cause.

Regards,
Jean