> You are very kind.  I shall give it a go. But I think you will have
> to agree that this is some 5 orders (***) of magnitude more complex
> than versions: 2.12.3, 2.18.2-1, and 2.20.0.  I never would have got
> into Lilypond were I starting from here.

Please always bear in mind that *none* of the core LilyPond developers
is actually using Apple hardware, or at least not by default.  Apple's
license conditions have changed over time – they now mandate that you
*must* use Apple hardware to compile Apple apps; this complicates
matters enormously for us.

> But you raise another problem; arm64 or x86_64? I read elsewhere "An
> Apple M1 or M2 processor is also sometimes referred to by the
> architecture name of aarch64 or arm64." Or maybe it does not matter.

This has been addressed already in another e-mail.

> ianwest@Ians-MacBook-Air ~ % sudo port install lilypond
>
> Error: Please install Xcode and/or run xcode-select to specify its
>        location.  [...]

Again: license issues, as far as I know (but not from Apple in this
case).  There are some programs, libraries, etc., that MacPorts is not
allowed to distribute in binary form (see thread
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-users/2022-September/051424.html
for more information).  Instead, they must always be compiled on the
target computer (i.e., the computer you are actually using).  I
currently don't know which one, but at least one of LilyPond's
prerequisites apparently is affected by that.

On the other hand: Installing Xcode is not difficult, and it has to be
done only once.  If you are going to use MacPorts (which I highly
recommend in general) you should do this.

> should I download a zipped lilypond package before trying to install
> it?

This has also already been addressed in another e-mail.  In short: Use
the MacOS binary provided by lilypond.org if you don't want to go the
MacPorts route.

    Werner