Motivation:

I keep my Lilypond files in a git repository. I would like to interpolate the repo's version number in the Lilypond output by running a command like "git log|head -1". I can do this from raw Scheme using the system() function, but this does not seem to work in Lilypond.

So, now the question:

How do I run a system command from within Lilypond? I realise that being able to do so opens up a massive security hole, but that is not a problem here.

There are workarounds, like having a cron job that writes the text into a file at regular intervals and then including that file. But that is messy - and not portable to a machine that does not have that cron job.

BTW I run Lilypond from Frescobaldi.

--
In software design, perfection has been reached not when there
is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take