>>> please have a look at Merge Request 2188 and comment there on how
>>> to proceed with the new distances between clefs and time
>>> signatures, together with the new distances between clefs and key
>>> signatures.
>>>
>>>   https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/2188
>>>
>>> The question is whether the new distances should be based on the
>>> widest standard clef glyph (which is the alto clef, and which is
>>> done currently in the MR), or whether they should be based on the
>>> most common one, the treble clef.
>
> A few people responded, and the opinions are exactly 50:50.  It
> would be great if more people could chime in!

Thanks for all who commented.  There was a slight preference for a
wider setting.  For this reason I now suggest a compromise as a final
resolution, namely to make the bass clef invariant, which in turn
minimizes the differences of the other main clefs (treble and alto);
see attached image.  Doing so, the probably most used scores with a
violin and a bass clef (e.g., for piano music) stay unaffected.

If there aren't any serious complaints, I'm going to commit this.

    Werner