John Helly <hel...@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Aloha.
>
> Here's an MWE to exhibit the issue.
>
> I have a flat note (bes) that I want to transpose down 4 half-tones to
> F#.  However, when the transpose is applied, the result is Gb.  I
> understand that a flat note was the initial value so maybe LP is
> preserving that specification?

In LilyPond there is no such thing as "transpose down 4 half-tones".
You transpose from one key to another, not by a distance.

> Nonetheless, short of re-writing the whole piece in A rather than C#,
> is there a way to specify the enharmonic representation for an F#
> rather than Gb, for example?
>
> bflat = \chordmode { bes1 }
> <<
> \transpose cis' a {
>  \new ChordNames { \bflat  }
> }

\transpose cis' a will remove 4 sharps, take -4 steps on the circle of
fifths.  If you'd rather add 8 steps on the circle of fifths (the
difference implying that the circle isn't actually a closed circle), you
need to write something like \transpose des' a instead.

--
David Kastrup