On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Knute Snortum <ksnor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am still a novice at using LilyPond (maybe a sophomore) but I'd like to
> make one case for relative notes.  I'm typesetting a piece where there are
> a lot of octave scale runs between both hands.  It's very nice to be able
> to copy several beats or even bars of notes, irrespective of the clef, and
> paste them in.  You couldn't do that with absolute notation.
>

> Knute Snortum
> (via Gmail)
>

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <
> pierre.schneider.pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> kieren_macmil...@sympatico.ca>:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>>

>> Hi Kieren,
>>

>>> I now code everything in absolute mode, and cannot believe how such a
>>> little change has improved my life.
>>>

>> +1
>>

>>> But, as you say, “that’s just me”.  =)
>>>

>> Not just you, Kieren... ;)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pierre

For a long time, I exclusively used relative mode, but I'm having second
thoughts.

I just discovered that typesetting a piano piece which constantly uses
temporary voices is much easier in absolute mode. Switching from voice to
voice no longer gives any register surprises.

Absolute mode also tempts me to skip a few measures when I want to
procrastinate tackling a difficult spot but still want to keep working.

--David