Hello all.

For my own peculiar reasons, I need to compile something statically.

This might appear to be a trivial question, but after quite a few trials it seems like I can't find the right words to ask google with. So I ask you.

Here is my program. I hope you can inderstand what it does, despite lack of comments... ;)

#include <stdio.h>
int main() {
 puts("Hello, world\n");
}

And here's my little session:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] helloworld]$ gcc -static -o hello hello.c
[EMAIL PROTECTED] helloworld]$ ls -l hello
-rwxrwxr-x    1 eli      eli        441940 Mar  6 21:05 hello*
[EMAIL PROTECTED] helloworld]$

As you can see, this little program takes 440 kB. Hmmm. Why does this look too much to me?

I mean, even without glibc and other wonders, surely one could implement "puts" with less?

Any suggestions of how to shrink this down to some normal size?

Thanks in advance,
    Eli