Speaking about Ubuntu packaged kernels only...

Everything that goes into the source package is in git.
Every release has a signed tag.
Ubuntu kernel package names have a strict naming convention that makes
upgrading and abi checking work right, so from my perspective putting
the tag name somewhere in the binary package is much more realistic
than forcing a new naming convention on the package name.
Kernel image packages have the config used to generate them in /boot
we could easily add another file that contained the git tag.
We could also put a git log from a known upstream Linus or stable
release in there but that log could be long.  It would have all the
linaro patches plus all the Ubuntu patches.

john