On 15 September 2011 15:58, James Westby <james.wes...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:08:26 -0500, Zach Pfeffer <zach.pfef...@linaro.org>
> wrote:
>> I'm writing up some notes on building Android from scratch and
>> replacing the kernel in an Android build from one built locally, and I
>> realized that's it a bit of a chore to extract the kernel config that
>> got used. I thought, it may make sense to provide an way in
>> android-build to control what gets used - which would make finding
>> this information easier since if would one of the configs that gets
>> passed to the build like TARGET_PRODUCT. Thoughts?
>
> Hi,
>
> We could (fairly easily I imagine) make the actual config an artefact of
> the build. Then you could go to any build, grab the config, and so build
> the same thing locally.
>
> Passing it in would be ok, but I'm not sure we would want to make every
> build have the config specified as well as everything else? The only
> way that it would be universal would be if you had to specify this on
> every config, which seems to duplicate information inside the tree.
>
> Providing the config that was used as an artefact would be universal. I
> guess we even have a choice between providing the full .config, and just
> the name of the defconfig, if that's how the Android build system
> selects them.

It just does it by name.

Thinking more about this.

Replacing a kernel is a pretty normal operation. I think if we just
generated a script that had the relevant paths from the build and
posted that on the build page then that would streamline this
operation. Something like:

git clone git://git.linaro.org/people/jstultz/android.git
cd android
git checkout linaro-android-3.0

wget --no-check-certificate
https://android-build.linaro.org/jenkins/job/linaro-android_toolchain-4.6-linaro-master-with-generic-target/18/artifact/build/out/android-toolchain-eabi-linaro-4.6-2011.08-18-2011-09-12_08-38-17-linux-x86.tar.bz2

tar -jxvf
android-toolchain-eabi-linaro-4.6-2011.08-18-2011-09-12_08-38-17-linux-x86.tar.bz2

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=$PWD/android-toolchain-eabi/bin/arm-eabi-
defconfig android_omap4_defconfig && make ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=$PWD/android-toolchain-eabi/bin/arm-eabi- uImage

Most of those values come out of the build system and you can find
most of them, but have a script would be just one more way we're
making it easier to work with these builds.

--
Zach Pfeffer
Android Platform Team Lead, Linaro Platform Teams