On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Andrey Konovalov <
andrey.konova...@linaro.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>     > This kind of conflicts will for sure happen once we start merging
>>     > topics from different LTs. I believe we just need to make a clear
>>     > statement on how we're planning to deal with conflicts, and how the
>>     > LTs can use the current linux-linaro as based when checking for such
>>     > conflicts, problems.
>>
>>    It's not hard to solve - just publish the flavouring tree, it anyway
>>    exists as part of Andrey's flow.
>>

> That's why I've changed the topics merge order last night:
>

> On 04/19/2012 12:22 AM, Andrey Konovalov wrote:
> > Changes to the previous version:
> > * topics merge order changed: generic topics first, LT's topics last:
>
>  I talked to Andy and I agree that pushing the state of our linux-linaro
>> tree _after_ the WG topics were merged but _before_ all the LT topics go
>> in as a "mandatory" branch would offer a nice option to consume just our
>> core subset of changes. So far I thought the topics alone would be good
>> enough, but I understand the value of having a one shot core tree for
>> some of the participants in the linux-linaro effort.
>>
>> Also, I agree that we already have that state while merging topics
>> anyway, so making that available should be really cheap - especially if
>> we are OK that that "mandatory" branch (linux-linaro-tracking-core) will
>> not be validated and released independently, but only be made available
>> to make consuming our linaro core kernel work easier.
>>
>> Andy and me seem to be aligned on that point and there was agreement
>> that validating just the core set without enablement wouldn't be expected.
>>
>> Ultimately I like the idea of establishing all or a subset of WG topics
>> as the "linaro mandatory" set that the LTs have to converge around...
>> this includes making decisions on what CMA version everybody should use.
>>
>> With that I would say: let's do it.
>>
>> Andrey/Ricardo: do you agree? Can we make such a
>> "linux-linaro-tracking-core" branch (and a tag accordingly) available
>> that basically reflects the state we have after merging WG topics and
>> before LT topics?
>>

> Sure :) With just one difference probably. Shouldn't this
> "linux-linaro-tracking-core" branch be mainline tip based, not just the
> most recent -rc? (So it would be the "real" tracking tree.) I also planned
> to have a "linux-linaro-tracking" branch to be exactly the same
> "linux-linaro-tracking-core" branch plus the current LT's topics for the
> next linux-linaro release. The "linux-linaro-tracking*" branches would be
> for new work being done (like moving to new CMA version), while the
> linux-linaro branch would be used mostly for testing and bug fixing. When
> we see that the "linux-linaro-tracking" is good enough, we move
> "linux-linaro" to it (rebasing to the nearest -rc if necessary).
> This implies that two versions of the topics must be supported: the
> "current" (use the same -rc as linux-linaro) and the "next" (mainline tip
> based) ones. Guess the WGs and the LTs are already doing something similar

Without thinking I would say that every branch (tracking, stable, etc.) and
tag (release candidate, release etc.) should have the same -core subset
explicitely marked.

>  At best we could sneak that service in for todays
>> release candidate?
>>

> We probably could. But this has very little value for the current 12.04
> release. Having "linux-linaro-tracking-core" *well before* the 12.05
> release is much more important than right before the 12.04.
> That's why we could consider the "linux-linaro-tracking*" branches to
> follow the mainline tip more closely than with per -rc "granularity".

My understanding is that it would help for Andy for this release. Can we
just do the tags/branches?

--
Alexander Sack
Technical Director, Linaro Platform Teams