Oh Kathleen! I first met Elinor when she was a poll worker and we had a blast signing voters out! She had just moved to Lincoln at the time and I think I might have been her first friend in town! I have found memories of conversations with your mum and her even coming to pick blueberries at my home! GodSpeed Elinor! Peace and blessing to you Kathleen and your family! Bernadette Quirk
On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 9:32 PM Annamaria San Antonio < [email protected]> wrote: > I am sorry for your loss. I did not know your mother but now I truly wish > I had. Your writing reveals so much about her character and thank you for > sharing it, and for sharing her. I like the last line best! > > *~Jai * > > > On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 10:15 AM K.P. Nichols <[email protected]> wrote: > >> In the beginning she walked easily. Four miles a day, seven days a >> week, no matter the weather. Eager to meet you, wanting to hear your >> story, ready to tell a story, hoping your dog be friendly. >> >> >> >> Thanks, nice dogs large and small, for warm fur and wet kisses. >> >> >> >> Thanks, Lincoln Garden Club for the water fountain and the beauty of >> Peace Park. She needed both. >> >> >> >> Thanks to Lincoln’s school children who, racing past on Wednesday >> afternoons without knocking her down, gave of their exuberance. >> >> >> >> Thanks, Lincoln, for offering her rides on wet and cold days. And for >> accepting when she cheerfully and unequivocally declined. Declining made >> her feel stronger. >> >> >> >> *She needs a cane now, hearing aids, glasses. She forgets your names and >> faces, is amazed you know hers. * >> >> >> >> Thanks, Lincoln Police Department, for protecting her cross-walk and >> listening to her stories. >> >> >> >> Thanks, Lincoln Library, for supplying a steady stream of good books. >> >> >> >> *She wears out several canes. Now switches to a rollator – red -- so she >> can paint the town. Miles per day decreases to three. Pace, slow but >> resolute.* >> >> >> >> Thanks, Lincoln, for calling her an inspiration; it made her try harder. >> >> >> >> >> Thanks, bus drivers of Doherty’s Garage for every honk, wave, smile. >> >> >> >> Mark Twain said, “I can live for two months on a good compliment.” Thanks, >> young biker who shouted, “Hello, Invincible!” >> >> >> >> Pierce Hill Road gets steeper. She stops to rest in the middle of the >> road. Thanks for stopping to ask if she’s ok. And for telling her to >> move over. >> >> >> >> Onwards and upwards she walked. >> >> It took three heart attacks to stop her. >> >> >> >> Thank you, Lincoln, for seeing, accepting, protecting, and cherishing her. >> >> >> >> When last seen, Mama was heading east towards Harvard Medical School, >> eager to tell a new story to medical students studying anatomy. >> >> >> >> For Elinor P Nichols >> (March 11,1927 - September 7, 2022) >> >> >> By her daughter, Kathleen >> -- >> The LincolnTalk mailing list. >> To post, send mail to [email protected]. >> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. >> Browse the archives at >> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/. >> Change your subscription settings at >> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln. >> >> -- > The LincolnTalk mailing list. > To post, send mail to [email protected]. > Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. > Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/ > . > Change your subscription settings at > https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln. > > -- Bernadette and Mark
-- The LincolnTalk mailing list. To post, send mail to [email protected]. Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/. Change your subscription settings at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln.
