I feel very grateful to the volunteers who maintain the site. As far as I am concerned, it's their choice.
On Sat, Nov 19, 2022, 1:07 PM V Saleme <[email protected]> wrote: > Vbulletin forums is generally considered the standard, by which all other > forms of groupware, threading and communication within a legible format are > measured- > > Very inexpensive, hosting fees are negligible and will certainly get us > away from the 1990s in a hurry. > > On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 9:19 AM Leslie Turek <[email protected]> > wrote: > >> My experience with Google Groups is that you don't need to have a Google >> account to send and receive email from a group. To people without Google >> accounts, it would seem very much like the current system we have. People >> with Google accounts would be able to log into the group to see past >> messages. I think it would be fairly easy to switch to Google groups if the >> administrators wanted to do so. >> >> Slack, on the other hand, would be a bigger step for people who are used >> to email. Younger people often use it in their workplaces, so are familiar >> with it, but for older people there's a bit of a learning curve and I think >> switching to it would lose a significant part of our current community. >> >> Leslie Turek >> >> On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 8:21 AM Laura Koller <[email protected]> >> wrote: >> >>> Thanks, all, for your comments. This appears to be a non-starter, >>> especially with the Community Center topic taking over much of the >>> discussion at present. I will just add that if we were to use Slack, Google >>> Groups or anything similar, I think it would be easy enough to just leave >>> it open on one's desktop or other device. To be clear: I don't know who >>> "owns" LT, but I greatly appreciate the effort required to run it, >>> troubleshoot, etc. Thank you, LT runner(s)! >>> >>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 3:22 PM June L Matthews <[email protected]> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> Hi, Andrew. I agree. I get lots of email from various sources, and >>>> it’s convenient to have LT in there with the rest. If I had to log in >>>> somewhere else, I just might not do it. But I also agree with the person >>>> who complained about the long email threads and the difficulty of figuring >>>> out who was replying to whom and on what topic. But this is an issue >>>> mainly during a (complicated) discussion, such as the ongoing one on the >>>> community center. Although I suppose LT could be improved, I don’t think >>>> that it’s really “broken” so let’s not try to fix it. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> June Matthews >>>> >>>> Greenridge Lane >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> *From:* Lincoln <[email protected]> *On Behalf Of *ANDREW >>>> PANG >>>> *Sent:* Monday, November 14, 2022 2:09 PM >>>> *To:* Jonathan Sheffi <[email protected]>; Laura Koller < >>>> [email protected]> >>>> *Cc:* [email protected] >>>> *Subject:* Re: [LincolnTalk] Slack instead of Mailman? >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> If using Google Groups or Groups.io requires having a Google account >>>> and logging in to that, no thanks. As with Slack, that is an extra step, >>>> and an extra place to go to read the LT messages. The beauty of the >>>> email-based list is that it's right in with other daily communication. It >>>> is so basic that it works for all, whereas I suspect any "other 'modern' >>>> group communication platform" may require a subscription, which is a >>>> turnoff, regardless if it is free. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> I know some people are logged in to Google all the time, but not >>>> everyone wants to do that. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Andrew Pang >>>> >>>> Brooks Hill Road >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On 11/14/2022 1:34 PM Jonathan Sheffi <[email protected]> wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> I love Slack. My wife and I have a private Slack server for running our >>>> household. But everyone knows how to use email -- I think a lot of folks >>>> who aren't used to Slack might struggle to use it, and community engagement >>>> would decrease. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> That said, I definitely agree that the current Mailman infrastructure >>>> is badly outdated and we should leave for a better service. I would suggest >>>> migrating us from Mailman to either Google Groups or Groups.io. There are >>>> migration tools so that we wouldn't lose the archive, plus everything would >>>> become searchable and easier to navigate. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Who actually runs the infrastructure for LT anyway? 🤔 >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 12:31 PM Laura Koller <[email protected]> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>> Could consideration be made for replacing the LincolnTalk listserv's >>>> antiquated format with Slack, or some other "modern" group communication >>>> platform? I find that the repetition of content makes these messages >>>> unwieldy and quite challenging to read through to find the non-repeated >>>> content. Thanks for considering this; any thoughts? >>>> -- >>>> >>>> Laura Koller >>>> >>>> [email protected] >>>> >>>> -- >>>> The LincolnTalk mailing list. >>>> To post, send mail to [email protected]. >>>> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. >>>> Browse the archives at >>>> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/. >>>> Change your subscription settings at >>>> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln. >>>> >>>> -- >>>> The LincolnTalk mailing list. >>>> To post, send mail to [email protected]. >>>> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. >>>> Browse the archives at >>>> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/. >>>> Change your subscription settings at >>>> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln. >>>> >>>> >>> >>> -- >>> Laura Koller >>> [email protected] >>> -- >>> The LincolnTalk mailing list. >>> To post, send mail to [email protected]. >>> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. >>> Browse the archives at >>> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/. >>> Change your subscription settings at >>> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln. >>> >>> -- >> The LincolnTalk mailing list. >> To post, send mail to [email protected]. >> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. >> Browse the archives at >> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/. >> Change your subscription settings at >> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln. >> >> -- > The LincolnTalk mailing list. > To post, send mail to [email protected]. > Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. > Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/ > . > Change your subscription settings at > https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln. > >
-- The LincolnTalk mailing list. To post, send mail to [email protected]. Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/. Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/. Change your subscription settings at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln.
