We can all agree that the seniors and the COA need support and we should
come together to find solutions. What gives a lot of us pause is the
current plan, which is focused on building a 16K-20K sq ft facility at a
cost of $15M+ without understanding our true needs (neither current nor
future) nor exploring supplementary options around town to help bring down
the cost. Let's all remember that a building like this will come with its
associated staffing, insurance and operating costs, and we will still need
to invest in upkeep for Bemis/Pierce.

   - The concern is not about the numbers fluctuating wildly, because we
   haven't even been provided the data to make that assertion. The grave
   concern lies on the fact that COA hasn't provided median/average/actual
   attendance, despite repeated requests from many of our neighbors and even
   CCBC members.
      - How can we plan for future growth if we don't know what the current
      state is? What do we apply a growth factor to?
      - If you look at the little attendance data that is available, quite
      a few of the classes are attended by 2-5 people. Yet the current
community
      center schemes plan for fitness/activity rooms ranging in size
from ~1,000
      to over 2,500 sq ft. How much would attendance have to grow to make
      use of all that space?
      - Wayland is building a COA/CC that has less square footage than even
      the cheapest of our options, even though they have double the number of
      people and of seniors. Do we think that our senior population is going to
      grow to more than double, and more than Wayland’s?
   - This project will (without doubt) impact our property tax bills, which
   are currently higher than Lexington, Concord, Carlisle, Wayland, Sudbury
   and Bedford.
      - If we continue on this path, we will be making the town even more
      expensive for those retiring and on fixed income, effectively
driving away
      those that we are building for
   - This type of thinking of "building for the future" without any data to
   support it is what drove us to overbuild the school. Based upon Mass
   State Building Standards, the school’s 165K square feet should be able
   to host 1,000 students. The architects designed the school
   for 650+ students but our enrollment is currently only 550 (PK-8)