The town can not dictate a specific tenant to a property owner through any
process. The town can approach a property owner with an appealing offer.
All discussions to date of the proposed mall zoning will permit a use such
as a community center, and I will be very surprised if they do not continue
to do so.

[Note: I am not making any statement about where the community center does
or does not belong, only clarifying what is and is not theoretically
possible]