Interesting,

I have a DVD R\RW in my dell optiplex gx280 machine a did a few tests
and got the following ("D" is my dvd drive letter):

Did: put baDiskInfo( "D", "number" )

With lots of different disks

Director MX Application disk - Result = 1130663698.0000
Photoshop application disk - result = 3271149900.0000
No Disk - Result = 0.0000
Blank disk 1 from sequential spindle - Result = 0.0000
Blank disk 2 from sequential spindle - Result = 0.0000
Blank Disk I then wrote data to - Result = 80591823.0000
Disk written by colleague on different computer (different drive
manufacturer) - Result = 3872700079.0000

I also did this test on a different machine with different hardware in
the office and got the same result.

Maybe your drive has just remembered the last CD entered into it when no
cd is present, but you could add another check in the software to make
sure a CD is there.

It would appear that blank disks carry no serial number, and that your
cd writing software creates a serial number when it writes the disk.
Given that I found all written disks to have a serial number, even
though they came from different places, this must be some sort of
standard.

Depending on the CD writing software you may be able to specify a serial
number, or at least work out what the next 300 serial numbers will be if
you know what the last one was and check for the range in the software.

Due to a new install, I haven't got anything as complex as Nero to try
it with - also, afraid I have only got about 20 blanks left in the
office at the moment and I'm too lazy to go and get some more for
testing.

Given that no method will be completely pirate proof, I'd say that Marks
suggestion definitely has the strongest possibilities without any online
verification codes.