D8.5.1, WinXP

I use Buddy at runtime to open a dialog box and let the user choose an
image from his HD, but I can't figure out how to prevent the image
from conforming to the placeholder sprite on stage.  Example: sprite
on stage is 350 px by 400 px, and when a new image is brought in that
is larger or smaller, the sprite adjusts the new image dimensions to
fit, like squeezing or stretching it.  I'd like the new image to fit
within the sprite without changing new image dimensions, which brings
me to a second part: can anyone suggest an image scrolling behavior
somewhere?  Once the new image is in place, I'd like to have the user
click and hold on the image to adjust its viewing position within the
sprite on stage.  Asking too much for Director at runtime?

Thanks much for the help,
John Hart