thank you cole and mathew,

i thought it had to do with \n or \0 but that wasn't the case,
the problem is actually very strange.

i found that the socket stops working, after a MIAW was openened briefly and closed again (forget). somehow the main window (stage) looses focus, which causes the XMLSocket to fail. giving back focus (movieToFront) or trying to open the MIAW in the back (moveToBack, before actually opening it),
but both solutions don't work.
closing the socket connection, destroying the object, and creating a new object and connecting again also doesn't work. the new object does connect, but doesn't direct incoming data to lingo anymore.

it looks as if sent data is actually recieved, but not passed to the callback handler, because when the movie is stopped and restarted, while objects are not cleared, the XMLSocket will spit-out all data that it didn't pass to the callback handler before.

i'm a bit confused.
is this a known issue or a bug on my part?

thanks
arri