This is Director MX, Win98.

I just noticed that the Player radio buttons in the Projector Options dialog box has the Shockwave option grayed out. Does this mean that Shockwave projectors are no longer supported? Or is my system weird?

Does anyone have the ability to make a Shockwave projector on their system using Director MX?
Works for me.

I have the downloaded final release installer (still waiting for the CD to arrive, but it should be the same as the installer on the CD when it ships) running on WinXP SP1. If you tell me how to tell which version of SW I have installed, I could tell you that too! The base is 8.5.1 and looking in my SW folder I see (although AFAIK this shouldn't have any bearing on the ability to create a SW projector):
iml32.dll 8.5.1.104
dirapi.dll 8.5.1.104
Proj.dll 8.5.1.102

Perhaps if you try creating the external xtras folder and putting the required dlls and xtras in there *prior* to creating the projector you might have more luck.

-Sean.