I'm sure you're on the right lines for what was being asked, but which palette does the routine refer to?

Excellent question, Colin! And something I struggled with. I *think* it defaults to the palette set in the movie properties dialog and for some reason that setting isn't available to lingo, either gettably or settably. However, I changed that setting to all the other available options (and saved the movie) and it would only ever spit out values for #systemWin, so I have no idea how that works in the background.
James Newton has a routine in his book that involves creating bitmaps with different palettes and get/setPixel which are then queryable for rgb <-> paletteIndex "conversions".

-Sean.