BINGO!
That was the issue.  I do indeed have an elaborate stopMovie handler
that voids things, and it was being executed by the MIAW.  Warren, you
are a genius.  Thanks, all for the feedback.

I will wrap all the voids in the stopMovie handler with an if it's the
ABC MIAW then...

Thanks!
- Michael M.

I bet that you have a script something like this:

   on stopMovie
     global gYourObject
     gYourObject.forget()
   end

and that's what's nuking you. When you issue the forget call to your
MIAW, it triggers a stopMovie event. And probably the MIAW doesn't have
a stopMovie script in its own cast file, so the event rolls to the next
... which is the one that's getting called and nuking your objects.

IIRC the way to fix that is to do something like this in your MIAW:

   on stopMovie
     nothing
   end

That should trap the stopMovie in the MIAw and keep it from propagating
up.

Warren Ockrassa | President,  nightwares LLC  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  nightwares LLC | Consulting  Programming
http://www.nightwares.com/
          Author | Director 8.5 Shockwave Studio: A Beginner's Guide
Chapter samples | http://www.nightwares.com/director_beginners_guide/

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]).