You might try Xtras/Update Movies on the original movies, then open and save them. IIRC, that was what you had to do to get from Dir 7 files to Dir 8.

I recall that with really old versions on the PC you had to open it in
Director 7 and save it first. Then open in a more recent version.
I'm not sure what the cut off version was. could be 4 or 5...
Cath