OK, now you've got us confused-
hmmm... seems to work for me (win2k, buddy 3.7- now with the MUCH BETTER non-swf help document)

longFolder="d:\1dir\2dir\3dir\4dir\5dir\6dir\7dir\"
aFile="afile.txt"

put bafileexists(longFolder&aFile) --1

put baopenfile(longFolder&aFile,"normal")
--44 (no error, opened fine)

put bafolderexists(longFolder)
--1

newFolder="d:\dir1\"

put bacopyxfilesprogress(longFoler,newFolder,"*.*","always","my title",0)
--0 (no error copied fine)

Stephen