Australia to get nuclear-powered submarines, will scrap $90b program to build 
French-designed subs

By defence correspondent Andrew Greene, political editor Andrew Probyn and 
foreign affairs reporter Stephen Dziedzic  Posted 46m ago

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-15/allied-naval-united-states-biden-australia-nuclear-submarines/100465628


Australia's next submarine fleet will be nuclear-powered under an audacious 
plan that will see a controversial $90 billion program to build up to 12 
French-designed submarines scrapped.

Key points:

Joe Biden is expected to make an announcement at 7:00am AEST
The ABC understands the Prime Minister convened a National Security Committee 
of Cabinet yesterday
It's expected that there will be an increased presence of American nuclear subs 
in the region

The ABC understands Australia will use American and British technology to 
configure its next submarine fleet in a bid to replace its existing Collins 
class subs with a boat more suitable to the deteriorating strategic environment.

Australia, the United States and Britain are expected to jointly announce a new 
trilateral security partnership on Thursday, with a focus on aligning 
technology and regional challenges.

But Australia's embrace of nuclear-powered submarines will have its political 
and technological challenges, given there is no domestic nuclear industry.

The new three-nation security pact – called AUKUS – will be seen by China as a 
bid to counter its regional influence, especially in the contested South China 
Sea.

The nuclear submarines would likely be based in WA.

In 2017, the Turnbull government announced French company Naval Group (then 
known as DCNS) had been selected for this country's largest-ever defence 
contract, to design and build "regionally superior" conventional submarines.

The ABC understands Prime Minister Scott Morrison convened a National Security 
Committee of Cabinet on Tuesday ahead of coordinated announcements in 
Washington and London.

Cabinet ministers were given special COVID exemptions to travel to Canberra for 
the top-secret discussions.

In a highly unusual step, the Prime Minister also invited Labor leader Anthony 
Albanese and three of his senior shadow ministers to be briefed on the plan.

American media reports say US President Joe Biden is scheduled to deliver 
"brief remarks about a national security initiative" on Wednesday afternoon in 
Washington local time.

A well-placed military source has told the ABC the Defence Department's general 
manager of submarines, Greg Sammut, has called an urgent "clear lower decks" 
meeting for tomorrow morning to discuss the dramatic development.

Another senior official said "top secret" briefings have been arranged at the 
Defence Department on Thursday.

Government sources say Mr Morrison tried unsuccessfully to line up a phone call 
with French President Emmanuel Macron on Wednesday, but it has now been instead 
scheduled for Thursday.

The ABC has been told that news of Australia's decision was instead delivered 
to Paris by the secretary of the Defence Department Greg Moriarty.

Allied naval presence is expected to increase north of Australia — including in 
the contested South China Sea — as part of a coordinated tri-continental push 
against Beijing territorial aggression.

Australia, the United States and Britain are expected to reorient their 
submarine and warship fleets to counter China's increasing regional presence.

Regional diplomatic missions across Canberra are expecting to be briefed on the 
announcement on Thursday afternoon.


_______________________________________________
Link mailing list
[email protected]
https://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/link

Reply via email to