Russian state TV declares World War Three has started after sinking of Moskva


By Sean Seddon  Friday 15 Apr 2022 
https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/15/ukraine-russian-state-tv-warns-world-war-three-has-already-begun-16472787/

Russian state TV says World War Three has already started after the sinking of 
the Moskva.

The Kremlin’s main propaganda mouthpiece went into meltdown last night after 
the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet was taken out.

Officials have refused to acknowledge Ukraine’s claims it struck the ship with 
cruise missiles, an operation which would be one of Kyiv’s biggest military 
successes since the invasion began.

But the capital was struck by rockets overnight, a sign Vladimir Putin intends 
to punish Ukraine for the downing of the prized naval asset.

The city has been spared arial bombardment since Russian troops pulled out of 
the north but there were strikes against Kyiv, Kharkiv and locations further 
west.

Russia 1, a Kremlin mouthpiece which has championed the war, came close to 
acknowledging Ukraine sunk the Moskva by demanding a crushing response.

Olga Skabeyeva, one of Vladimir Putin’s leading propagandists, told viewers 
Western support for Ukraine amounted to direct conflict with Russia, saying: 
‘What it’s escalated into can safely be called World War Three. That’s entirely 
for sure.

‘Now we’re definitely fighting against Nato infrastructure, if not Nato itself. 
We need to recognise that.’

A guest on the show likened the sinking of the Moskva to an attack on Russian 
soil, despite the Kremlin’s insistence it went down because of a fire.

He also used the word ‘war’, banned in Russia, and had to be reminded of the 
government-approved terminology ‘special military operation’, adding Kyiv 
should be destroyed.

Russia has previously said it considers arms being delivered to Ukraine 
legitimate targets.

The Kremlin has also responded furiously to the news Sweden and Finland are set 
to apply to join Nato in response to the invasion.

Pro-Ukraine sources say the Moskva was taken out in an operation using drones 
to confuse its anti-missile defence systems.

With its guns distracted by the unmanned aircraft hovering above it, two 
Neptune cruise missiles were fired from land and hit the port side of the 
warship.

The strike triggered an explosion in the ammunition store and a fire, a detail 
confirmed in part by the Kremlin.

Russia said all 500 crew on board were evacuated but it’s likely there were 
fatalities.

It is the largest vessel to be sunk in combat since the Royal Navy took out the 
Belgrano during the Falkland’s War and the most significant naval casualty 
since the Second World War.

--
_______________________________________________
Link mailing list
[email protected]
https://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/link

Reply via email to