"It was not autonomous, the driver was legally in control."

That's a legal technicality, isn't it?

My bottom line would that the autopilot failed in this case (and should,
and presumably was, improved.)

This is one data point.  It proves nothing except that machine car control
is not perfect and the human executive controller failed to monitor the
automatic system sufficiently as the vendor told him to.  This tells us
just about nothing about appropriate public policy wrt driverless vehicles.
Machine control is imperfect; people always don't do what they're told.
Not a lot of useful information there.

To get good public policy we would have to gather some real numbers and do
some comparative analysis.

Jim