On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 01:52:18PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On 09/10/18 12:14, David wrote:
> > AFAIK FTTC and FTTN connections have the same terms & conditions, FTTC
> > is just faster.  I presume a VDSL2 modem is required in both cases, does
> > anyone have experience of FTTC?
>
> No, NBNco provides the modem for FTTC. They call it an NCD. Although it's
> just VDSL2, the NCD also provides the power to the device out in the pit.
> Hence a standard modem isn't enough.
>
> In all cases the customer must supply a router. NBNco provides the network
> interface only.

That's what I thought was the case.  With FTTC, you get an ethernet port,
presumably) just like you would with FTTP.

So I could use my Linux gateway box as the router, without needing to supply
another modem (I currently do something very similar to that on ADSL2 - my
ADSL modem is configured for dumb bridged modem and I run pppoe and firewall
rules on the linux gw. Theoretically I could use a lede/openwrt compatible
modem/router instead...but unfortunately, they're all crappy garbage compared
to any x86 machine. and I'd rather use debian)

Anyway, I've (finally!) got FTTC in my area, so I'm very keen to switch to
NBN.

Unfortunately, my ISP (iinet) has no business plans for FTTC - which I need
because I have two /24 networks currently routed to my ADSL2 service (I run my
own DNS, mail, web, etc servers and a bunch of VMs and lots of other stuff).
iinet's support staff are unable to say if or when it will be available.  They
have said I could get Residential FTTC NBN but are unable to say whether I can
still have my networks routed to an NBN connection.

Does anyone know of any NBN ISPs offering custom routing for FTTC connections?

craig

--
craig sanders <c...@taz.net.au>