On 12/10/18 12:11, Roger Clarke wrote:

Don't bother with blockchain: databases or even email could be better ...

Land title is one possible application for blockchain. See:

"NSW Land Registry to trial blockchain for conveyancing: The state wants to transition completely to eConveyancing by July 1, 2019:", Asha McLean, zdnet, October 15, 2018: https://www.zdnet.com/article/nsw-land-registry-to-trial-blockchain-for-conveyancing/

I am on the ACS Blockchain Technical Committee and have attended a few meetings with Data 61 who are preparing a report on it for ACS. But I do struggle to find many use cases for blockchain. How often do you have something which needs to be distributed, immutable and not run by a central trusted party?

One application I suggested to the blockchain committee is for micro-credentials. Each student may have several hundred micro-credentials from dozens of institutions, making paper based certificates unworkable. I discussed this in Colombo a few weeks ago at the Sri Lanka national IT conference: http://tomw.net.au/technology/it/digital_economy_learning/

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Senior Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington