While looking for something quite unrelated I stumbled on the article at
https://www.howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/
which describes how Linux and Linux applications can now be run under
Windows-10.

QUOTE
You can install a Linux environment and Bash shell on any edition of Windows
10, including Windows 10 Home.  However, it does require a 64-bit version of
Windows 10.  You just have to enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature,
and then install your chosen Linux distribution—for example, Ubuntu—from the
Windows Store.

As of the Fall Creators Update in late 2017, you no longer have to enable
developer mode in Windows, and this feature is no longer beta.
[...]
The Fall Creators Update also enabled support for multiple Linux distributions,
where previously only Ubuntu was available.  Initially, you can install Ubuntu,
openSUSE Leap, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Debian GNU/Linux, or Kali Linux.
Fedora is also on the way, and we’ll probably see more Linux distributions
offered in the future.

You can have multiple Linux distributions installed, and you can even run
multiple different Linux environments at the same time.
[...]
Your Linux files and Windows files are normally separated, but there are ways
to access your Linux files from Windows and your Windows files from the Linux
environment.
[...]
UNQUOTE

I wonder what is Microsoft's long-term plan?

David L.