On Sat 2018-11-10 11:19:01 UTC+1100, Karl Auer (ka...@biplane.com.au) wrote:

> On Sat, 2018-11-10 at 10:13 +1100, David wrote:
>
> > While looking for something quite unrelated I stumbled on the article
> > at https://www.howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-
> > windows-10s-new-bash-shell/ which describes how Linux and Linux
> > applications can now be run under Windows-10.
>
> Um, not quite. Shell stuff, yes. You get bash, and pretty much anything
> command line. You can't run anything graphical as far as I know. Still,
> it's a way better solution than cygwin, and you really do get the full
> power of a Unix command line.

You can run graphical apps under WSL once you install an X server on the
Windows side, though you are somewhat limited by the capabilities of the X
server software.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-run-run-the-native-ubuntu-desktop-on-windows-10/

https://virtualizationreview.com/articles/2017/02/08/graphical-programs-on-windows-subsystem-on-linux.aspx

https://www.pcgamer.com/linux-in-windows-10/

WSL's biggest tradeoff seems to be poor disk I/O performance compared to
native Linux (or even compared to running Linux in a virtual machine).
I suspect Cygwin binaries also perform disk I/O quicker than the equivalent
Linux binaries running under WSL due to lower API overhead. For apps that
aren't I/O-bound this isn't such a big issue, though.

Of course it's possible to install both WSL and Cygwin concurrently and
choose whichever suits the task at hand.

I'm apprehensive about Microsoft's long-term plans for Linux, but WSL does
open up some interesting avenues.