On 18/7/19 10:13 pm, Kim Holburn wrote:
> On the other hand there is no real argument here as to why cryptocurrency is not a useful means of exchange, a currency. Except possibly the scalability argument.

The article I sent was about noncurrency applications of blockchain.

So I extracted some of Steve's and my own comments on that topic.

Blockchain involves a data model with particular characteristics. A few instances of real-world data share those characteristics. (The primary example I use is old-system land title). Blockchain may have benefits in such circumstances. Otherwise, its benefits are limited and its disbenefits and energy and other costs are high.

Cryptocurrency is a very particular application. Skilful design has enabled it to function pretty effectively, but the energy costs are frightening, and a bunch of vulnerabilities have to be managed. Meaningful comments about cryptocurrency need far deeper study than I've ever put in, so I've made few and fairly superficial comments about it.

Steve's written more about it though, much of it accessible in his blog:
http://lockstep.com.au/blog/blockchain.html