On Thu, 2020-04-30 at 22:32 +1000, David Lochrin wrote:
> Back on topic, https://opensource.com/alternatives/skype lists open-
> source alternatives to Skype.
>
> Two of these are Jitsi and Jami
> [...]
> Do Linkers have any comments or experience regarding these packages,
> especially in light of the security issues with such widely-used
> software as Zoom?

Jitsi doesn't have e2ee but it is being worked on. On the other hand,
you can setup a Jtsi server within your enterprise (or house, or
datacentre, or cloud) and protect the endpoint yourself.

I found Jitsi very easy to use; it's not as polished as Zoom, but the
fundamentals work very well. It supports meeting recordings and video
quality control, chats and "raise hand". No whiteboard. In-browser only
- Chrome/Chromium and Firefox definitely work, sometimes with warnings
about supported browsers, but that may just be because I'm running
Ubuntu-ised versions. Meetings and people can be stored as simple
bookmarks.

As far as I can tell, every meeting is a "meeting room" - a meeting is
identified by a simple text string and anyone with that string can
reach your meeting. Whether they can join will depend on whether you
have set a password or not. If no-one is in a meeting any more, the
meeting ceases to exist, but there is nothing stopping you (or anyone
else) using the same string later - hence it works as a "meeting room",
though with weak ownership.

I haven't had a chance to use it much, but I get a good vibe from
Jitsi; would be happy to experiment with it if others need a "play
friend" to try it out with :-)

Haven't tried Jami.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (ka...@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D