Hi David,

Glen mentioned Jitsi in an earlier discussion and I gave it a go.

There is a Jitsi server run by by https://www.8x8.com/

I typed in "chat" when it asked about starting a conferenc at https://meet.jit.si/ and had a conversation (audio only/no picture) with someone in Scotland.

"Join the weekly Jitsi Community video call • Mondays @ 10:30am CT Details" <https://jitsi.org/thecall> https://jitsi.org/

Marghanita

On 30/4/20 10:32 pm, David Lochrin wrote:
While on the subject of video-conference technology, I believe this is doing
the rounds in Canberra:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYu_bGbZiiQ

No more YouTube clips, promise.
-------

Back on topic, https://opensource.com/alternatives/skype lists open-source
alternatives to Skype.

Two of these are Jitsi and Jami (formerly Ring) which is described as: "An official
GNU package, Jami is licensed under the GPLv3, and takes its commitments to security and
free and open source software very seriously. Communications are secured by end-to-end
encryption with authentication using RSA/AES/DTLS/SRTP technologies and X.509
certificates."  It can apparently also use SIP, which might be a useful feature in
the NBN environment.

Do Linkers have any comments or experience regarding these packages, especially
in light of the security issues with such widely-used software as Zoom?

David Lochrin

Marghanita da Cruz
Telephone: 0414-869202
Email:  marghan...@ramin.com.au