On 2020-05-10 00:09, Karl Auer wrote:

>> We are releasing the app code, but to ensure the privacy of individuals and
>> integrity of the overall system, the code that relates to the COVIDSafe
>> National Information Storage System will not be released.
>
> Why not? If it is secure, no amount of inspection will make it less so.  If
> it is not secure and they don't know it, the fastest way to find out is to
> let lots of eyes look at it. And if it is not secure and they DO know it,
> then believing that hiding the code will somehow protect the system is
> dangerously, foolishly naive.  Three words that pretty well sum up the
> Australian Government's when it comes to large-scale IT.

Reliance on security-by-obscurity will probably end in tears.

I presume security of CovidSafe user data will ultimately depend on the
devices' O/S but I'm not qualified to make any guesses there.  However China
will probably reverse-compile the downloadable App in short order anyway.

Withholding part of the code only reduces the government's credibility even
further.  As a strategy to whitewash back doors and spyware, it's at least 25
years old: release most of the code to display innocent goodwill but not the
bit that counts.

David Lochrin